Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home, sweet home.

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just had to get that out of my system, haha. I'm in Honduras!!! I got back yesterday circa 11 AM after six hours of travel, got picked up by the cutest man ever named Amilcar, and realized the extreme heat and humidity that I'm about to endure for the next two weeks. I met up with Emily, one of the student leaders who was in Honduras during my spring break trip, and Jess who was a volunteer with me back in March. In true Chi fashion, I tackled both of them.

When I first got to Honduras, I didn't feel like I was really back. It just didn't seem real to me at all that I was in Honduras two months ago, and now I'm back. But it became so real to me when we made that left turn into Las Brisas, the village right before Villa, and at the entrance of Villa, there was Angel, the most eloquent twelve-year-old boy, and he was just genuinely so excited to see that I had come back just like I'd told them I would, back in March. I wish I had that moment on video because it honestly was the best welcome I could've received. I've never been so excited to hear my name before in my life.

All the kids ran and jumped on me, and the excitement was obviously matched, if not surpassed, on my part. I saw little Mario, my six-year-old best friend, and his whole family who always show so much love to me, both in Honduras and back in the states, so it was awesome seeing them again. We were there for a few hours, and all I did was run around with the kids, catch up with them with my minimal Spanish, play games with them, and attempt to pick up 60-pound bags of cement: FAIL. Seeing those beaming faces just lit up my life and my Honduran high is shooting through the roof!

The volunteers are coming today, so Em, Jess, and I are going to the airport in an hour to pick them up! I can't wait to meet them all, and I can't wait to see what this week has in store for us! There are 30 people on this trip, so it's definitely going to be a different experience from my spring break trip, but I'm mui emocionado (I'm amazing, I know) to see what the group dynamic is going to be like. Obviously, it isn't going to even come close to Spring III (miss you guys!!) but it'll still be a fan-fricken-tastic time and I'm excited for another two amazing weeks in Honduras!!!

Time for breakfast! Words can't even begin to express how awesome it feels to be back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment