Friday, March 25, 2011

Celebration - Cool & The Gang

It is seriously time to celebrate good times because...


I GOT A FULL-TIME PAID INTERNSHIP AT ALLISON & PARTNERS!!! Allison & Partners is a PR firm that has offices all over the country, and a variety of clients, from Johnny Rockets to L'Oreal. My friend McClain works in the DC office, and she recommended me to the New York office. I have been persistently following up with them since my interview in January, and it's finally paid off! They finally have space in the office to bring on an intern, and that intern is ME! I can't even contain my excitement!!! I'm well on my way to having a big-girl job!

Another reason to celebrate: today was my day off. It didn't really feel like I had last weekend off because my friends visited from DC, which was also one, long celebration. It was just nice to have some peace and time to myself, as well as some time to run errands.

I just realized I haven't mentioned it in my blog yet, but for Lent, I decided to give up meat. That being said, this morning, I made a "frat sandwich" - Carlton's fraterminology - for breakfast, with a veggie sausage patty and it was honestly so delicious. Don't hate on the fake meat until you try it. It's got all of the flavor, and none of the guilt. Morning Star should totally pay me and use that as their tagline.

I didn't give up meat because I indulge in it. I actually don't eat it all that often. However, sometimes I subconsciously eat it, and if it's the only good option, I'll eat it. I haven't eaten meat for the past three weeks, and lately, I have become so cognizant of what I'm putting into my body. Without it in my system, I don't get indigested, which has always been a huge obstacle for me. I also feel more energetic and I feel better, overall: mentally, morally, and physically.

I've been thinking about going vegetarian since last March, when I went to Honduras and saw chickens happily running around the hotel in the morning, and a grilled chicken thigh on my dinner plate that evening. It just seemed wrong that I was playing with the little chicks, and then eating their mother's leg for dinner. So when I got back from Honduras, I reduced my meat intake in honor of those hotel chickens.

For Lent, I took it a step further and cut myself off, cold turkey, pun intended. I thought this would be a good way to try out vegetarianism, and see if it's something I can or want to do. So far, it hasn't been very difficult. I did crave wings the other day - which I don't even like - when Carlton and Jay got them last Saturday, but other than that, I haven't missed meat in my diet. I'm so glad I decided to give up meat for lent because it forces me to cook, which I rarely do! Plus, eating out all the time in New York breaks the wallet. I make sandwiches, salads, omelettes, pasta... just call me Chef Chi.

I work at Madewell tomorrow through Monday. Oh, happy day. Sarcasm aside, my A&P internship starts in two weeks, and I'm thrilled about it, which is so refreshing and relieving. It'll be nice having some consistency in my life, for a change.

This weekend, I insist that you get yourself a drink (or four) and celebrate my employment at Allison & Partners! Tootles!

c.k.

NOTE: I wrote this at 2 AM, and I fell asleep before posting.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the internship Chi--that's so awesome! I did the same thing for Lent a few years ago for similar reasons. If you crave wings Morningstar makes some great buffalo "chicken" nuggets that are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm so excited!! I've seen those buffalo nugs at the grocery store, and I think I might have to get them. I've tried the fake chicken nugs, and they literally taste the same, and it blows my mind every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COOKIN WITH CHI! Ah Chi I'm so happy for you and all that you're doing! Congrats on the new job, miss you tons!

    P.S. I totally vote you go vegetarian, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Morningstar. If you're still craving the wings, they make those too!

    ReplyDelete